Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

100225: Claiming Selves as Gods


Theme: Claiming Selves as Gods

Exodus: 32-33:6
à Using the Golden Calf to replace God
- Everyone has a choice (to make the calf), and every choice has a consequence (to be saved or not)
- The wages of sin are death (those who have sinned are blotted out of the Book of Life)
- Made the calf during times of plenty—when life was good, the people turned to other gods: when times are hard, it’s easy for people to turn to God; when times are good, people often forget about God and turn to idols (e.g. idolize movie stars, etc.)
29Then Moses said, “You have been set apart to the LORD today, for you were against your own sons and brothers, and he has blessed you this day.”
- Levites are set aside as priests because they were able to follow God’s orders.
- Aaron “whined” when caught by Moses, just like Adam whined when he ate the apple, just like Eves whined when she was blamed for giving Adam the apple.
- The story is about sin and repentance. The wages of sin are death, and only repentance can save us from such a death.
Daniel 4:28-37 à using himself to replace God
[King Nebuchadnezzar] 30 said, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”
31The words were still on his lips when a voice came from heaven, “This is what is decreed for you, King Nebuchadnezzar: Your royal authority has been taken from you. 32You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like cattle. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes.”
34At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
- Nebuchadnezzar repented and immediately was restored his kingdom.
His dominion is an eternal dominion;
his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
35All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
or say to him: “What have you done?”
37Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
- When a person puts himself before God, it is just as bad as idolizing other gods.
- Babylon, the devil, the antichrist have all put themselves above God
- On the Antichrist: 2 Thessalonians 2: [that day will not come] until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessnessa is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

No comments: