Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Isaiah 15-23


Isaiah 15–16
- Moab was too proud and was thus doomed to be destroyed, and Isaiah was crying out in pain because of this.
- Moab will be destroyed because of their pride.

- I think one of the major barriers that prevents a person from receiving God’s help is pride. This is really hard to overcome because that person will never think he/she needs anyone’s help. This person would never think he/she makes any mistakes and believe he/she can succeed without anyone’s support. And when things don’t work, this person will never think he/she need to reflect because he/she may be the root of the problem. Instead, this person will lay blame on others.

If you know pride is your own barrier, then that is a step-up already. Knowing, in this case, truly wins half the battle. Because by admitting that pride is getting in your way, you are now open to taking suggestions and taking the steps needed to move away from that. The scariest thing is actually to not be aware that pride is your own barrier. At times like this, friends and family are critical.

How do you help a blind see? I think this is the toughest quest of all. But I believe we all must try. For me, it’s all about patience and understanding. A person who has been blinded by pride will never be able to see no matter how hard he/she tries. Friends and family should step in to help because they known this person best. From my personal experience, all we can do is to communicate endlessly. It is not an easy feat, and it will not be accomplished in one sitting. It may take months. It may take years. But we cannot give up. This is also why fellowship is so important. We can rely on each other to point out our blind spots, so that we may move forward to amend them.

Isaiah 17–18
17:1–3
Both Israel and Damascus will fall as the result of their alliance.

17:4–6
The glory of Jacob—the glory of Israel—will fade, yet some will remain.

17:7–11
Israel had forgotten God as its savior, choosing instead to seek other gods. On the day of its fall however, Israel will then remember its Maker, turning its eyes back to the Holy One of Israel.

17:12–14
The people and the nations that rage and roar against God’s people will flee away when God rebukes them. God will drive them out.

18:1–6
God has often remained in the backdrop, just observing. However, when the time is ripe, He will give a warning (such as sounds of a trumpet). And then, He will cut off all those who are not His people and leave these people to their demise.

18:7
“At that time,” and this is my guess, means the period encompassing the Tribulation.

- God was symbolized as Savior, Rock, and Fortress. Compared to man-made idols, such as Asherah poles and incense altars, God is a solid support. Placing trust in man-made idols is pointless because such idols have no power in making anything happen. It’s man-made! But God, He is the Creator of all. He exists before and after us. He exceeds our abilities, and where we fail, He will not. And so, by placing our trust in Him, we will be safe. And this is why He is our Savior, Rock, and Fortress.

Isaiah 19–20
- The idols of the Egyptians trembled before God. And this will cause the Egyptians to finally realize who the true God is.

19:2–15
- Egyptians, because they chose to place their trust in their man-made idols, will be led to fight against one and another. Nothing will grow, rivers will dry up, and life will be desperate.
- I think it is dangerous to think how God may be using natural conditions to reveal Himself to us today, because the truth is, we just don’t know. Many people like to say that Katrina or 911, or other natural catastrophes happened because God wanted to punish us for our wrongdoings, but we have no proof of this! I thus disagree very much with the notion to even hypothesize how God may be revealing Himself to us through natural conditions.

However, we should still bear in mind what has been taught to us in the Bible. The Bible teaches us that we may not know the specific day and time of Jesus’ second coming. But there are tell-tale signs of His coming. Events that need to occur to set His coming in place. And if we look at the times that we are in and compare to the trends of what has been happening (the formation of the EU, the beginning of the Fall of the US, massive spread of Christianity across the globe, etc.), we should all realize that we are close to the end of times.

This is a tough but very important topic and should really be discussed with fellowship and in further detail.

- “In that day,” Egyptians will show fear for God and come under His kindom.
- The stripping of Isaiah symbolizes shame. It is a warning to Cush and Egypt that if these two nations were to remain prideful, they, too, will be stripped of their powers and be completely exposed of their sin and be put to shame.

Isaiah 21–23
21:1–10
God’s judgment for Babylon: Babylon will fall.

21:11–12
God’s judgment for Edom: Edom will be no more.

21:13–17
God’s judgment for Arabia: Arabia will run from battle (but will not succeed).

23:1–18
God’s judgment for Tyre: Tyre, once the center of commerce, will be destroyed by many nations. It will be no more and have no chance to be rebuilt.  (See also Ezekiel 26:1-28:19)

Excerpt taken from
Isaiah 23 contains a prophecy about Tyre, a city of Phoenicia, is the last of the chapters prophesying the overthrow of nations surrounding Israel and Judah. Tyre was a city focused on the buying and selling of the treasures of the world. The things of the world were always more important to the inhabitants of Tyre than anything else, including God. Isaiah referred to Tyre as a harlot. This is because, in a sense, the people sold themselves and their sacred relationship with God for money—much in the same way a harlot sells her sacred virtue for money.

- Isaiah prophesies that Jerusalem will fall because its people are proud. The people thought they could solve problems on their own and did not realize the blessing given to them by their Maker, the Lord (Isaiah 22:11). Instead of repenting and be humbled, the people of Jerusalem celebrated the downfall of the nations around it (Isaiah 22:12-14). Isaiah thus used the story of Shebna as a warning to Jerusalem: That if they continue to be prideful, they will be brought down like how Shebna was brought down. However, the sin of Jerusalem will not be atoned for until its dying days (Isaiah 22:14). It will thus be atoned by Jesus Christ. And once Jerusalem returns to God’s side, it will then once again arise.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently came upon your blog and was just blown away on how the Lord blessed me through your blog to get a better understanding of the book Isaiah. This is my first time ever commenting on a post and don't know if I am quite doing it correctly, but I had to take a chance on you receiving my response; just to let you know to keep up the good work and be encouraged in doing so. I have no doubt that the Lord lead me to your blog and when I read the post about you and your mom and she being in BSF studies, that was a confirmation for me because I attend BSF women studies as well. Again, be encourage and continue to allow God to use you through this blog for women all over the world.

Thanks and God Bless you

Your Sister in Christ
Linda,

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for your blog. It has helped me with BSF. I have used your info to enhance my understanding of Isaiah not "do the work for me" as implied by people who have critized your site. This is my 7 year in BSF and I have always use outside resources, such as study Bibles - even though we are not suppose to. I learn better that way. I would rather have the resources available at the time of the study not during the follow up lecture and notes. I have a daughter who started the UC college system this past fall. Her Calculus class has the homework on line. She has to solve the math problems and has 10 tries to get it right. Someone must have figured out that one learns better while studying something then in retrospect, after homework turned in and graded - or in this case, BSF lesson is done for the week.

Anyway, I enjoy BSF and what I have learned but sometimes "the rules" get in the way of the ultimate purpose of learning and studying God's Word and I feel many of the rules are outdated and not relevent.

Keep up the good work!

TCA said...

Hi Linda and Anonymous,

Thank you both for your encouraging words. I, too, am very glad that God has blessed us with this community. Two heads are always better than one, and in our case, we've got a great group of minds learning together. Only good things will come from this!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your insights and comments but wanted to question your resource the you used. I thought LDS had very different theological views on salvation, Christ, heaven, hell etc.?

TCA said...

Hi Anonymous 3, Thanks for your encouraging words. In regards to LDS, to be honest, I have no idea what their theological viewpoints are. I realize this response may rub quite a few people the wrong way (e.g., "How dare you quote a source if you don't know what it's talking about?"), but please hear me out.

For me, I'm non-denominational. That is, I am only interested in learning what the Bible says, and I believe the Truth within should not differ between denominations. Every denomination may have different rituals, but every denomination should (and ought!) share the same Truth. After all, there is only one God, one Bible!

And so, going back to my reference, I used it because it may shed light on that particular passage for our understanding. Not all of us may agree with it, and I think that's a good thing. It is through such discussions that we can really work together to figure out what really is being said and what isn't.

It's a long-winded answer, but I hope to address my approach to studying the Bible. As long as we are all striving to understand the Word, then every idea is a good idea and worthy of thought and discussion.

In regards to LDS perspective on salvation, Christ, Heaven, Hell, etc., I think these would be excellent discussion topics for the future! (My earlier posts address some of these topics, but they can definitely be expanded!)

Anonymous said...

Thankf do your reply.I agree one God one bible. One thing I love about BSF is that it does not focus on denomination. My concern with LDS/Mormon is that they do have their own book book of mormon and see Christ in a very different light.

TCA said...

"My concern with LDS/Mormon is that they do have their own book book of mormon and see Christ in a very different light."

That is such a great point. I will definitely keep this in mind in the future.

Anonymous said...

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or, the Mormons, or LDS. I have spent my whole life listening to non-Mormon people tell me what I believe and what I don't believe; that my Jesus isn't their Jesus, that I'm not Christian etc.
I have been attending BSF every week for 9 years. We are studying the SAME Bible that Mormons believe in - although the Mormons usually use the King James version rather than the NIV (although I use the NIV for my BSF class) If you are REALLY interested in what a Mormon believes, there are thousands of books on the subject which are much more reliable than heresay.
Our Book of Mormon is "another testiment to Jesus Christ". It is the history of those who came across the sea from Jerusalem when the Lord told them Jerusalem was going to be destroyed. The Myans and Indians are descendents of these people. For over 200 years thousands of Biblical scholars have tried to prove the Book of Mormon to be false but none has ever been able to do so. I believe in God, our eternal Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. I believe the Bible to be the word of God and I also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God. If anyone really wants to know what Mormon's believe, The Book of Mormon is a good place to start.

Thank you so much for this blog. It has helped me a lot in studying Isaiah.

God Bless you Jeannine

TCA said...

Hi Jeanine,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

I was just in a similar conversation with a friend the other night, and our conclusion was we are simply not the ones to judge each other. None of us are perfect and none of us are omniscient, and so, we simply do not have the ability to judge who is in the absolute right. And so, I am deeply sorry you have had to withstand so many judgmental comments in regards to your position as a Christian. The truth is, only God and yourself would know the answer to that.

I also agree that in order for any of us to discredit any thought, we ought to first seeking full understanding and never base our decisions on hearsay. I will indeed find time to explore the Book of Mormon before I come to any conclusion myself :)

I am so glad this blog is helpful for you. I think that at the end of the day, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, as long as we all believe with our heart these fundamentals of Christianity: 1) We are all imperfect as we all have sins; 2) Jesus Christ died on the Cross for us all, and with His blood, He has atoned for our sins, thereby saving us from eternal death (the punishment for our sins); 3) Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the 3rd day and returned to God, our Father in Heaven.