Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Luke: Heaven and Hell

Luke 16: 19-31
Heaven and Hell


Notes and thoughts from Paster Mark's sermon
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/luke
 
This was a very emotional sermon to sit through, especially in the end, when we see Pastor Mark fighting back tears due to his overwhelming concern for his flock. As we reflect upon today's sermon, we need to keep this in mind:

1. What is the Truth?
2. What is our Choice?

A lot of people hate thinking about death. Those who do have their own reasons. Based on  my observations, a large number of people dislike the subject because they simply do not know what to expect. They also see it as an ending to the only form of life they know, and such a thought is just too depressing. Especially when they are largely successful in this life.

However, just because we choose to ignore death and what happens after death--no matter what our reasons are--that doesn't mean facts about it cease to exist.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, facts exist whether we choose to heed them or ignore them. If there is a lamp in the room, we can choose to believe whatever we want about it. We can choose to pretend it's not there. We can choose to pretend it's not a lamp but a coat rack. But no matter what we choose to believe, "there is a lamp (and not a coat rack) in the room" remains a fact. The lamp is a lamp, and it exists, no matter what we try to tell ourselves.

And so, even if the subject of death is a tough subject, just because we choose to not talk about it, that doesn't make it non-existent, that doesn't make it less inevitable.

About 6 months ago, my Bible Study group was going over some of Pastor Chuck Missler's materials, and he said something that just really stuck with me: "Thugs who threaten Christians with death should know that death holds no threat for Christians. Because when we die, we know we are going to Heaven."


That is just an awesome thought. Knowing the greatness of God, what could mere humans possibly threaten Christians with?


However, it wasn't always this awesome in my mind. I had to first come to terms with my own prejudices and fears--something I encourage all of us to remain honest about to ourselves. Because until we can overcome our own obstacles, we can never fully embrace the Truth or the process to discovering the Truth.

Coming back to today's sermon, Pastor Mark attempts to summarize all theories about death and to show why only ONE is the Truth.

Popular theories of what happens after death:
- Naturalist: nothing happens
- Universalist: everyone goes to Heaven; "all religion leads to Heaven"
- Reincarnationist: we will keep returning to life, paying off our debts to the gods upon each return
- Annihilationist: cease to exist
- Catholics: suffer in purgatory for a period of time and then go to heaven
- Christians: our souls live on forever. we have the option to live an eternal life or suffer an eternal death

Facing all the above theories, we need to be vigilant pursuers of the Truth. What are the FACTS? What resources can we TRUST to have the FACTS?

I think today's sermon was especially emotional for Pastor Mark because he sees so many people pick and choose what they want to believe and stops pursuing the Truth. It is much more comfortable believing in the things that we want to believe in rather than understanding and accepting the un-budging reality. He therefore sees many people walk on the path of the wrath of God because of their false beliefs, people who refuse to get off the this wrongful path because it is easier, it is funner, and it is more satisfying.

And so, I just want to emphasize this point: Religion has no real meaning if it doesn't have the Truth. Why would it be comforting to believe in Heaven if there is no Heaven? Why would we fear death less if there is no true Salvation?

I was a hardcore atheist once, and I did not fear death. I did not fear it because I did not believe we would feel anything after we die. I believed that when I die, I would cease to exist and therefore experience nothing. There would be no pain, no emotion, no thought. Essentially, I would never experience death, because I wouldn't feel anything! So... what was there to be afraid of! Seize the day and live my life to the fullest and according to my own will, so that when I die, I can die with no regrets!

But then, I found out that our souls live on forever. FOREVER. And oh yes, we would feel great joy or great pain, depending on where we end up.

When I first heard that, I was mad. Because, you know, life isn't easy. Making the most out of everything isn't easy. Seeing the silver lining for everything isn't easy. When I thought I had only a limited amount of time to live, working hard, fighting hard seemed easier. Because, hey! I only needed to go full throttle for a limited time! And as opposed to throwing opportunities away, I ought to jump at every opportunity to live because I won't be alive forever!

But living for an eternity? I couldn't bear it... All this blood, sweat, and tears forever? I've been alive for 20-some years, and I'm already tired. I don't WANT to live forever. I DON'T WANT IT! I was mad because the Bible states it clearly that I don't have a choice. Our souls live forever. Period. I can't decide to just cease to exist when I am done playing. I can just say, can I lay at rest and not feel anything? And so, I resented this immensely.

And after some serious thinking, I realized there is no sense fighting the thought because THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT. Just because I resented the idea, doesn't make it less real, less true. And so, in the end, I had to come to terms with it.

Our souls live FOREVER. We cannot change this fact.

But, we ARE in control of WHERE we want to spend eternity. Okay. I like that. At least there is room for breath.


Do we want to spend an eternity with God and live in eternal life? Or, with satan and suffer eternal death?

Here, some may argue, well, why should we believe only the Bible holds the Truth? What about all the other religious beliefs?

INVESTIGATE.

Read the Bible. It is not just a book of rules. It is also a book of HISTORY, of the life of Jesus Christ. Investigate the Bible as you would a historical textbook. Can these events be corroborated? Are Biblical books just a whole bunch of stories made up, or do we actually have objective historical, archeological, medical documentation to support them?


Here, I will refer you to Lee Strobel's book, "The Case for Christ." Strobel does a great job investigating the Truth of the Bible, and it is this book that really forced me to think critically and analytically about the Truth. Not mere religious beliefs. Just the plain Truth. Tangible, prove-able, fact-based TRUTH.

And investigate the Truth behind other religions. Where is the evidence for the Truth they proclaim?

Don't take my word for it. Explore it for yourselves. See for yourselves and determine just which doctrine can be back by solid evidence.

So here, I encourage us all to INVESTIGATE.

I've done my homework, and I place my faith in Jesus Christ. Touchy-feely "everything will turn out fine," "you're a good person; nothing bad will ever happen to you" are not comforting for me. Empty words do not provide comfort. The Truth may hurt, but at least I will KNOW. And if I know, then I can act upon it.


And for me, there is great news.


Because as a Christian, I am grateful that my loving God sacrificed His Son to atone for all my sins (past, present, and future!), thereby giving me the opportunity to return to God's side. Without Salvation through Jesus Christ, my life would be very depressing, for there is nothing that I can ever do to wash away my imperfections. I can be the nicest person in the world, but I would still be horribly imperfect in God's eyes. And since God's presence demand nothing less than perfection, being the nicest person in the world means nothing. And so, Jesus Christ is my great news. Jesus Christ is my Salvation! Jesus Christ is my opportunity to return to God!

And so, for me, the devastating realization was not death itself. It was the realization that our souls live forever. I did not like the thought, and I'm still too young a Christian to appreciate eternal life. But I know for certain I do not want to side with satan. And as I continue to study the Bible, I learn that we would experience only great happiness in God's presence. And so, even though I'm still skeptical about how I can possibly enjoy eternal life (I just think I would get so bored!), I trust in the Lord and know that He will take care of me. And that I will be happy no matter what.

What about you?

Below are points of consideration, as mentioned by Pastor Mark:
2 Corinthians 5:8
We are of two parts: a physical body and a spiritual soul



Luke 16:19-31
The Rich Man and Lazarus

Rich man: a man of success who ends up in Hell
Lazarus: a man of poverty who ends up with Abraham
Jesus told this parable to illustrate that just because someone is hugely successful in this life doesn't mean this person will go to Heaven. And just because someone is in great despair doesn't mean he/she will end up in Hell. Throughout the Bible, God stresses the importance of heart. Earthly treasures and successes do not mean anything and will certainly not carry over to life after death. Those who will live an eternal life would have the heart of a humble servant. Those who will live an eternal death would have a hardened heart of a proud master, thinking he needs no one and that his success is the greatest there ever was/is/will be. Back to this parable, Jesus simply illustrates that our earthly possessions (or the lack of) do not determine our eternal fate.

What does? Heart. Heart in what? Heart in Jesus, as illustrated in John 3:36


John 3:36 stresses that whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.

And so, it is stated clearly in the Bible that there is only one way to eternal life: Jesus Christ. 

This is further emphasized in these scriptures:
John 14:6
No one comes through the Father but through Jesus.
Acts 4:12
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

The Bible, Jesus himself, is thus very clear about Heaven and Hell. Those who die in Christ will live an eternal life. Those who do not, will be refused an entrance to Heaven and suffer an eteranl death in Hell.

Here, it is important to realize that Hell was NOT made for us.

Hell was made for satan and all other fallen angels. We choose to go there when we choose to rebel against God, when we choose to follow satan.

Satan boldly rebelled against God, thinking he can overtake God and will take advantage of every opportunity to try to overthrow God. (I say "try" because Revelation tells us that satan will fail.) And one of satan's attempts is to seduce our souls away from God. And so, if we fall away from God's Way, we are inching closer to satan's seduction. And if we are not vigilant in our faith of the Lord, we will be led astray and essentially be lured into satan's legion. And if satan's going to Hell, guess where will satan's legion end up?
Revelation 20:10
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Is there a second chance after death that would allow us to choose to go to Heaven?
No.
Hebrew 9:27
Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people.
Luke 16:26
And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.

At first glance, "No" is such a harsh answer!


But is it?

We are responsible for our choices. God has already sent His only Son to the Cross to atone for our sins. God has already held off His wrath until a pre-determined time. And through the Bible, God has already explicitly told us how it is all going to pan out.

We have an entire lifetime to learn of the Truth and to investigate the validity of such a Truth, and we have been granted absolute free will to do with whatever we want in face of the Truth. Are we really going to whine about it and say God is unfair when we are being judged at His throne? How dare we ask for a "second" chance when God has already give us chance after chance after chance during our lifetime?


In closing, Pastor Mark stresses, "It is my job to tell you the Truth. It is your job to make a choice. To not make a choice is to make the wrong choice."

And so, I would just like to leave you with facts clearly stated within the Bible: Heaven and Hell are everlasting. Our souls are everlasting. When we die a physical death, our souls will either return to be with the Father or will be banished forever in Hell. Fear not death. "Fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in Hell."
Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Daniel 12:2
Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your servant's heart...

TCA said...

Thank God for working through me. Thank God :)

Anonymous said...

Thank You, Almighty God! Our Redeemer and the Holy One of Israel.

TCA said...

Amen!