Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

080903: Meaning of the Death of Jesus Christ

bMatthew 26:17
Mark 14:13
The Lord's Supper
- bread is broken = broken body of Jesus
- wine = blood of the new convenant

Exodus 24
The Convenant Confirmed
- God seals agreement with His people with blood

Leviticus 4
Sin Offering
- Blood is used as a Sin Offering to wash away sins

Malachi 1:6-14
Blemished Sacrifices
- only the best (perfect) can be used as sacrifices

Hebrew 9 sums up today's discussion:
1. Since the times of the Old Testament, people have tried to wash away sins with blood in order to make things right with God
2. Blood is important b/c it marks the acceptance of an inheritance, the inheritance of forgiveness (as with a will, its inheritance is legitimized by death, which is symbolized by blood)
3. when Jesus shed His blood for us, His blood washed away our sins once and for all (hence no need for any more animal sacrifices); and with His death, it signifies the start of a new convenant, one whose sins have been completely sanctified with the purest sacrifice of all (Jesus Christ's blood)

No comments: