Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Isaiah 10:5–34


Isaiah 10:5–15
2 Kings 18:9–16
- The King of Assyria defeated Israel and Judah, which was reflected by Isaiah's prophecy.
- God’s purpose was to punish the godless nation of Israel; Assyrian’s purpose was to become powerful
- Man thinks he can conquer everyone based on his own powers.
- God will also punish the King of Assyria for his pride. King of Assyria needs to understand that his ability to overpower Israel was due to God’s will, not based on his own power.

Isaiah 10:5–6, 12
- God needed to discipline Judah because Judah was too prideful.
Galatians 6:1–4
Hebrews 12:3–17
- God’s discipline is an expression of His love, because He encourages us all to help each other when we see each other in trouble.
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Discipline is form of love; it shows care. A father who cares enough about his children will take the time to discipline his children. Also, when we see others struggling, we should help but be careful not to fall in.

Isaiah 10:16–27
- Because Judah is a descendent of Jacob, a remnant of them will be saved.
- From the passage, it seems that God will send earthquakes and floods to defeat Assyria.
- The remnant of Judah will rely on the Lord God and not anyone else; they will the be the true Holy One of Israel.
See Exodus 14:15–31 and Judges 7:19–25
- These victories were all won because of God’s will. Recalling these events would comfort Judah because it would remind him that God is Almighty, and when God promises victories, there will be victories.

Isaiah 10:28–34.
- The approaching enemy is menacing and large in number. Their approach puts a lot of fear in the people, and many people have ran away because of their fear.
- The enemy will halt at Nob because God will not let them proceed any further. Once these people reach Nob, God will strike them down.
- People who are too proud will not be able to acknowledge that their success was not their own. They too depend on other people’s help, but because they are so proud, the pride has blinded them. They are eager to take credit for themselves, thinking they accomplish everything all by themselves. However, in reality, there are many people along the way that helped them get to wherever they are today. Many people believe in luck. And maybe it is luck. Or, maybe it is God helping you out.
It is always better to be thankful. Thankful for all the opportunities. Because luck or no luck, things don’t always have to go the way we predict. Thing can always go bad. And when it doesn’t, it is just better to be thankful as opposed to being prideful, thinking all the success belongs to just ourselves.
And by being too proud, people will push God, other people, and nations out. They will no longer be able to listen to anything.
- Love, humility, and forgiveness is the real antidote. Jesus Christ is the ONLY one TRUE PERFECT person that has ever lived. And yet, instead of being prideful, He shared His love with people. Others get jealous and angry over the things He was able to do. Some spat on Him, many wanted to kill Him. In fact, the Philistines succeeded in killing Jesus on the cross. And even then, Jesus still showed love and forgive the people who hated Him.
Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble.”
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

Isaiah 10:5–34
- God’s ultimate goal is to discipline His children, to teach them about love and courage, and most important of all, to love and trust Him. We may not always be able to understand His great plans, but we should always trust that as our Father, He is always looking out for us. He is always listening and watching.

8 comments:

Karen said...

As a teaching leader for BSF I was looking online for some commentary help on this passage and was surprised when I followed the link to your blog. I think it's wonderful that you're trying to convey the truth of God's Word to anyone reading your blog, but it seems like those reading the posted questions (and the answers) are missing out on the full benefit intended by the people who've put the study together. Prayerfully studying God's Word for ourselves and thinking through the implications for our lives are life-transforming! And, being able to discuss it with other people who've studied the same verses, plus hearing further teaching and reading carefully thought-out written commentary helps to bring it all together to really make an impact on individual lives. That's why BSF materials are copyrighted...so that people achieve the full benefit of the study. Have you thought about encouraging people to get involved in BSF so that they, too, can experience for themselves the life-changing power of God's Word?

Unknown said...

I am in bible study fellowship also. And tripped across this site when looking up an answer. Now I feel guilty Knowing what the answers are now.

Daisy2 said...

I started BSF for the 1st time for the study of Isaiah. Your blog is very helpful to me because sometimes I know the answers from my scripture study but I have trouble putting them into words. I'm sure a teaching leader for BSF doesn't have that problem. All of this is Bible study and that's what we're doing, right?
God Bless you and thank you for your help.

Unknown said...

As a 9 year member of BSF, thank you....as long as others are seeking and learning....THAT is the most important thing. I spent THREE years in Administration at BSF....interesting that a Teaching Leader is "on line" searching for commentaries....yet "we" as members are told not to. Careful.....

Margaret said...

Starting my 6th year with BSF I am struggling with Isaiah so much I considered pulling out. When I ran across your site I was thrilled. Even though the answers were posted I found myself spending more time in my bible to help me understand each one and to see what I am missing. Even though answers are posted I can add to them. Thank you - I no longer feel so defeated trying to learn God's word. I am looking forward to our next class and feel I will get more out of this lesson than I have in many others in the past. Again, thank you and don't stop...please.

Karen said...

By way of explanation, let me say that my intention in writing my original comment was not to be critical, but with the hopes that people would be encouraged to take advantage of the 4 parts of BSF. And, in response to a later comment that was posted by someone else, I answer the lesson questions without the help of commentaries, just like everyone else in class. But, when it comes to actually preparing the lecture, I'm able to read one or two commentaries so that, in giving the lecture, I can "fill out the picture" a bit for the class members. This IS a challenging study...I agree with those of you who made that comment! I think we've all been stumped by some of the questions. But thankfully, doing the lesson questions is just the first step toward understanding. By the time the passage has been discussed & taught, and the notes have been read, it begins to come together. It's easy to get bogged down in the specifics, but if we each ask God to show us one new truth every week, we'll all be that much "richer" for it.

den said...

Thank you so much for your time to share your insight!! This is my first year in BSF & I am very new to Isaiah. It can seem overwhelming at times. God has pruned my life incredibly since the begining of this journey, this time in my life is a highlight! Your blog is so helpful to reflect on after I do my weekly study. Thank you for the share!

TCA said...

hi all:

i'll post a separate post to address your comments.

thank you so much for your encouragements!