Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Isaiah 11-12

Isaiah 11:1–5
- Verse 11:1 is good news, because it is foretelling that Judah’s descendents will rise again.
See also 2 Samuel 7:12–16; Matthew 1:1, 6; Revelation 22:16
- The stump represents King David; the Branch is Jesus

- The qualifications to rule are listed in Isaiah 11:2-5
2The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD
3and he will delight in the fear of the LORD.
He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
or decide by what he hears with his ears;
4but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
5Righteousness will be his belt
and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

Exodus 31:3; 35:31
- The Holy Spirit fills one with “skill, ability, and knowledge in all kinds of crafts.”

Judges 6:34; 11:29; 13:25; 14:6
- The Holy Spirit fills one with courage and power.

Numbers 11:25
- The Holy Spirit allows one to witness the future and prophesy it to others.

1 Samuel 10:11; 16:1–13
- The Holy Spirit allows one to be blessed by the Lord’s power.

John 15:26; 16:14
- The Holy Spirit reveals the Truth and promotes sharing of the Truth.

Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 6:19; 12:13
- The Holy Spirit connects all of us with God. Our bodies are thus temples of God’s Spirit.

Romans 8:15–16
- The Holy Spirit welcomes us as sons and daughters of God, our Lord.

Acts 1:8; 4:31
- The Holy Spirit fills us with the courage to speak to others about God, to evangelize.

Ephesians 1:13
- The Holy Spirit marks us as believers, as followers of Jesus Christ, as Christians.

Isaiah 11:6–9.
The kingdom of the Branch will bring peace, and its people will all know that the Lord is our Father, and that He is our one and only God.
- Matthew 24:36 says that “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” This means that we will not know when exactly Jesus will return to begin his reign on Earth. However, Matthew 24:4-35 says that there will be signs of the end of age, signs of Jesus’s coming.
(I suggest reading Matthew 24. Upon complete understanding, the answer will come.)

Isaiah 11:10–16
See Exodus 13:17–15:21
- The phrase “He will break it up into seven streams so that men can cross over in sandals,” reminds me of how God allowed Moses to lead his people across the red sea.
See Numbers 21:8–9; John 3:14–15; 12:32–33; and Romans 15:12
- The Root of Jesse is Jesus. Jesus will stand as a banner of His peoples by giving them eternal life, salvation from sins.
- The nations Ephraim (Northern Kingdom of Israel) and Judah (southern kingdom of Israel) will unite and become one under the reign of Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 12
- The reason to praise God is because God has brought about peace and salvation under the reign of Jesus.
See John 4:10, 13–14; 7:37–38
- Salvation is sweet, satisfying, and eternal.
- The verbs give thanks, call on, sing, shout aloud, and sing for joy all describe the response of a person who has experienced the blessings of salvation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your insight on Isaiah. This is my fifth year in BSF and I've wanted to quit this study several times (I did not feel this way in the past). I have been frustrated and bogged down by the questions that seem to create some confusion in my thinking. You have brought freshness and honesty to your words. For someone who has only been a Christian for two years... you are an inspiration to me. Again, thank you!

TCA said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having this blog! It is a big help for me and looks like others!!

Anonymous said...

I too want to thank you for your insight. This is my 3rd year in BSF and I am struggling with Isaiah. Your posts have been a great help. They help to clarify the questions, so I can come to my own understanding.

Fran said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this blog. It's my first year in BSF and I would have quit if wasn't for you.
God bless you!

TCA said...

hi guys, thank you, too, for your encouragements. it's the main driving force for me to keep up with my Bible studies! i'm so very glad God has brought us together to learn the Word together!