Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

100107: Suffering


Lamentations 3

1aI am the man who has seen affliction
by the rod of his wrath.
2He has driven me away and made me walk
in darkness rather than light;
1* He is frustrated/bitter/pained, saying “Woe is me. Look at all that I’m suffering.”
18So I say, “My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the LORD.”
19I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
20I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
2* He remembers God, his Lord, that he is not alone.
22Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
3* He waits upon the Lord:
Isaiah 40:30
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
31For men are not cast off
by the Lord forever.
32Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,
so great is his unfailing love.
33For he does not willingly bring affliction
or grief to the children of men.
4* He remembers the Lord’s great love of him, even when he has sinned.
37Who can speak and have it happen
if the Lord has not decreed it?
38Is it not from the mouth of the Most High
that both calamities and good things come?
39Why should any living man complain
when punished for his sins?
5* He remembers the sovereignty of God.
40Let us examine our ways and test them,
and let us return to the LORD.
41Let us lift up our hearts and our hands
to God in heaven, and say:
42“We have sinned and rebelled
and you have not forgiven.
6* He repents.
43“You have covered yourself with anger and pursued us;
you have slain without pity.
44You have covered yourself with a cloud
so that no prayer can get through.
45You have made us scum and refuse
among the nations.
46“All our enemies have opened their mouths
wide against us.
47We have suffered terror and pitfalls,
ruin and destruction.”
48Streams of tears flow from my eyes
because my people are destroyed.
49My eyes will flow unceasingly,
without relief,
50until the LORD looks down
from heaven and sees.
7* He wonders when his punishment would be over after repentance.
61O LORD, you have heard their insults,
all their plots against me—
62what my enemies whisper and mutter
against me all day long.
63Look at them! Sitting or standing,
they mock me in their songs.
64Pay them back what they deserve, O LORD,
for what their hands have done.
8* He prays for God to punish the enemies.
Jonah 2
Jonah’s Prayer
1From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. 2He said:
“In my distress I called to the LORD,
and he answered me.
From the depths of the gravea I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.
* He called for help while he was thrown overboard.
4I said, ‘I have been banished
from your sight;
* “Lord, why have you forsaken me?”
5The engulfing waters threatened me,b
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you brought my life up from the pit,
O LORD my God.
7“When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, LORD,
and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple.
* This prayer is thus a reflection. He’s remembering his prayer when he was drowning. Interestingly, he is not saved at this time. He doesn’t get saved until after 3 days, 3 nights. Why?
8“Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs.
9But I, with a song of thanksgiving,
will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
Salvation comes from the LORD.”
* This prayer finally saves him. The difference between the two prayers is the latter contains repentance, and the will that he will make right the wrong, which, most importantly, asks for God’s help, for God to deliver him.
* This is from the OT, i.e. before the arrival of Jesus Christ. Isn’t it interesting how God sent Jonah to a non-Israelite nation to prophesy and to tell them to change their ways? Salvation to the gentiles is shown in the OT, before Jesus’ time. (This was also shown in Soloman’s song, where he also prayed about foreigners.)
* There is a parallel between this story and the resurrection of Jesus. Jesus went down to Abraham’s bosom for 3 days, 3 night, preaching for repentance/salvation through Jesus Christ. (e.g. Belly of the Whale vs. Belly of the Earth; and 1 Peter 4:5-6)
* When Jesus died, he descended to Hell/Abraham’s Bosom first. This is where all God-fearing men went, and so it makes sense for Jesus to go there too. HOWEVER, instead of being stuck there like all other God-fearing men, Jesus was able to conquer death via preaching/praying, and he was able to be resurrected and allowed to set foot in Heaven, bringing all past and future God-fearing men to Heaven.

1Peter 4:1-19
Suffering for Being a Christian
13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18And,
“If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”a
19So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
* “Suffering” here is not the same as those of previous scriptures. In the previous scriptures, the sufferings were brought upon by themselves (i.e. they steered away from God and thus had to deal with the consequences); suffering here refers to the suffering of just being a Christian, of being an outcast (e.g. Acts 16:22-34). That is, Christians who suffer simply because we are hated for being Christians.
* Here, Peter is encouraging us all to focus on ourselves and be joyful that we are trusting Jesus. Furthermore, he quotes Proverbs, and suggests 1) if it’s hard for us to be saved, it will only be harder for non-believers; 2) cut these mockers some slack, for they know not any better.

* Lastly, Peter shows that by the time of NT, the mentality has changed. In the OT, righteous people immediately asked God to punish those who are wrong. Here in the NT, Peter shows how Christians have matured over time and know how to show compassion, to focus on oneself rather than focusing on the punishment of the wrong. Instead of punishing the wrong, invite them to the Kingdom of God (sheparding people to God).


1 comment:

TCA said...

by Li

Lamentation 3

Jeremiah wrote this:
Bitter at God but never questions the sovereignty of the Lord and never attacks the Lord.

Verse 33: For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men.
Cross reference Ezekiel 33:11 (Say to them, as surely as I live, declares the sovereign LORD,
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.)

Psalm 23: Valley of Death

Order: complain -> turning point = verse 18 -> remember God
-> wait upon the Lord (Isaiah 40:31) - the Lord will still protect you (remembers the love or Lord), remembers the sovereignty of the Lord, have faith in Lord's judgement
-> Repentance (getting back to God)
-> Appeal: (changes from He to You (pointing finger, appeal))
1) Indirectly questioning the Lord: Have you not punished us enough?
(asking God to turn His back around and look at their circumstances)
2) Ask God to Judge the other nations

*offer his cheek to one who would strike him: cross ref for Christ Jesus


Jesus's last word: Lord, Lord, why have you forsaken me?
(because the only way God could let Him die is by turning his head away from Him)
FUBAR = Fucked up beyond all repair
SNAFU = situation normal all fucked up

Jonah 2
Verse 3: "You" (complaining that God is bringing this unto him)
Verse 4: God, why have you forsaken me?
He is praying when he is thrown overboard.
He is drowning.
Remember the Lord -> Pray for God to help him (but Jonah has not been delivered yet).

God had him swallowed by fish (whale).

Salvation for gentiles:
Solomon's prayers, and Jonah going to Nineven (non-Israelites)
The idea of "grafting" into the covenant is not new. It is also in the old testament.

Jesus Christ goes down to hell after he died and before he was resurrected.
1 Peter 4:6
What suffering is Peter defining?

"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"
1) Focus on yourself (refining yourself)
2) Cut the non-Christians some slack (because it is hard for yourself, it's even harder for them.)

Levels of lamentations: Jonah 2 -> Lamentations 3 -> 1 Peter 4

family of God = church, Christians (in NT)