Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

How do we "rightly divide the word of God"?

Bible Study with Pastor Terry Gray


2 Timothy 2:15


To rightly divide the word of God


1. Understand how the Bible came to being
- The Bible is God-breathed
- The Bible is written by humans, through the inspiration of God, through God's instruction
- The Bible is therefore inerrant and absolutely trust-worthy


2. Read the Scripture in its historical and cultural context


3. Understand grammar of the Bible
- The Bible was originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic in the OT, and Greek in the NT; any other language is a translation!
- Though we have many excellent English translations, some concepts can still be hard to get across perfectly, thus misunderstanding occurs. During these circumstances, we should go back to the original language for clarification. We will discover that God is very specific.


4. Study the Scripture within grammatical and linguistic context


5. Literal interpretation is to take priority over allegorical interpretation

No comments: