Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

090422: Genesis 6-11

Genesis 6 "The Flood"
- God: "This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks."
- God: "Everything on earth will perish. But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark--you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you."

Genesis 7
- God: "Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made."
--> why 7? 7 is the number of completion
--> why 40 days and 40 nights? 40 is the number of trials?
- Noah was six hundred years old when when the floodwaters came on the earth.
- God: "I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark--you and your sons
- The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8
- On the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
--> Noah's ark is thought to be found in Turkey (which has olive trees)
- On the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.
- By the first day of the first month of Noah's six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth.
- By the twenty-seventh day of the second month, the earth was completely dry.
- Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.

Genesis 9: 1-17 "God's Covenant with Noah"
- God: "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
- God: "I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you and with every livin creature that was with you... I establish my convenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."
- God: "I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth."

Genesis 9: 18-28 "The Sons of Noah"
- Sons of Noah: Shem, Ham, and Japheth
- When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, he said, "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers." He also said, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem."
--> descendents of Shem later became the Israelites; Canaanites indeed became their slaves
- Noah lived 950 years and then he died.

Genesis 10 "The Table of Nations"
- The Japhethites (Japheth --> Gomer --> Javan)
- The Hamites (Jam --> Cush --> Raamah)
- The Semites (Sham --> Aram, Arphaxad --> Eber --> Peleg, Joktan)
- "These are the clans of Noah's sons, according to their lines of descent, within their nations. From these the nations spread out over the earth after the flood.

Genesis 11 "The Tower of Babel"
- "The whole world had one language and a common speech."
- The people said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
- God: "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
--> "us": the Holy Trinity (God, the Father; God, the Son; God, the Holy Spirit)
--> John 1:1-2: In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him, all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made.
- Babel: the place where "the Lord confused the language of the whole world" and where "the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth."

No comments: