Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

090430: Genesis 11-17

Genesis 11:10-32 "From Shem to Abram"
- Shem lived 500 years.
- Arphaxad lived 403 years.
- Shelah lived 403 years.
- Eber lived 430 years.
- Peleg lived 209 years.
- Reu lived 207 years.
- Serug lived 200 years.
- Nahor lived 119 years.
- Terah lived 205 years --> Abram, Nahor, Haran
- Abram + Sarai
- Haran --> Lot

Genesis 12 "The Call of Abram"
- The Lord appeared to Abram and said, "To your offspring I will give this land."

Genesis 13 "Abram and Lot Separate"
- Abram said to Lot, "Let's not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers."

Genesis 14 "Abram Rescues Lot"
- Melchizedek = King of Salem = priest of God Most High, to whom Abram gave a tenth of everything
--> 1st mentioning of priest, though Enoch was the first "Godly man" who walked with God and has yet to die and could be considered as the true 1st priest
--> 1st mentioning of giving a tenth of everything to a person of high standing

Genesis 15 "God's Covenant With Abram"
- Abram believed the Lord, and he (God) credited to him as righteousness.
--> Romans 4 "Abraham Justified by Faith"
Paul: "What does the Scripture say? ' Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as
righteousness.'"
- The Lord said to him, "Bring me a heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon."
--> Leviticus 4 "The Sin Offering"
- Lord: "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years..."
- Lord: "In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."
- Lord: "To your descendants I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates..."

Genesis 16 "Hagar and Ishmael"
- Sarai had an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar; so she said to Abram, "The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her."
- So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Eygptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.
- So Hagar bore Abram (86 y/o at the time) a son, and Abram gave the name Ishmael to the son she had borne.

Genesis 17 "The Covenant of Circumcision"
- This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you..."

No comments: