Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Casting Lots

Bible Study by Dr. Chuck Missler

Instances of casting lots documented in the Bible:

Jonah 1:7
Sailors cast lot to determine who was responsible for bringing on the catastrophic sea storm

Proverb 16:33
Casting lots is thought as a way God would communicate to tell the people where the problem lies

Joshua 7

The people of Israel cast lots to determine the sin of Achan

Joshua 15

Cast lot to divide the land

Numbers 26, 34

Cast lot to assign inheritance

Judges 1

Cast lot to select men for expedition

1 Samuel 10

Cast lot to elect King

1 Samuel 14
:42
Cast lot to determine sin of Jonathan, Saul's son

Acts 1
Cast lot to elect replacement for Judas

Leviticus 16

Cast lot to choose which goat to be the scape goat

1 chronicle 5

Cast lot to select the 6 cities as cities of refuge

After the Pentacost, there is no longer any documentation of lots be cast. Conservative scholars believe this is because people learned that our faith should not be placed in the chance of lots.


No comments: