Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

How did life really begin?

Dr. Chuck Missler is currently broadcasting a new series, "Learn the Bible in 24 Hours," on his 66/40 radio show.


The link below is the 3rd hour, discussing critical questions about life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3a13brRV9Y&feature=fvsr 


As a scientist, I know first hand how easy it is for us to become emotionally attached to theories. And if we are not careful, it is very easy for us to view science as our idol, to treat science as our religion.


My mentors have always stressed the following, something I have embraced and kept in the back of my mind as I continue to learn and explore:


There are two types of scientists. Those who allow the data to tell the story versus those who manipulate the data to fit their story.


To objectively gather and analyze data is one of the more rigorous disciplines I have had to learn during my doctoral training. I know the temptation to eliminate certain data points to make "my" story sound better. But you know, at the end of the day, it's not about me. It's not about the story I want to tell. It's about discovering the truth. So, as tempting as it is to manipulate data, I see very clearly that it's not my story that matters. What matters is the truth.


And with this, I'd like to encourage all of us to challenge what is supposedly known and ask, "Is that really true?" If so, where is the evidence?


I believe Missler's session is a good place to start asking these questions.

No comments: