Disclaimer

Disclaimer: I am not a Biblical scholar. All my posts and comments are opinions and thoughts formulated through my current understanding of the Bible. I strive to speak of things that can be validated through Biblical Scriptures, and when I'm merely speculating, I make sure to note it. My views can be flawed, and I thus welcome any constructive perspectives and criticisms!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

081109: The Discipline of Speaking the Truth to Our Neighbors

by Pastor Don Willeman

- we are all spiritually bankrupt

I. the need to speak the Truth
- Jesus sends disciples out to speak the Truth, thus as Christians, we all have the calling to speak the Truth --> so that people know about the Truth!!
- Matthew 28:18-20 "The Great Commission"
- Luke 24:45-50

II. the truth we need to speak
- about what God has done to make us possible
- 1 Corinthsians 15:3-12 "The Resurrection of Christ"
"I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God, that was with me."
- The gospel is not about you; it's about what the Messiah has done for you

III. the way/manner we need to speak the Truth
- i.e. WHO we are when we say it

a. via the Church (John 17:20 "Jesus prays for all believers")
- God speaks to us about the Truth via Jesus Christ, thus the Church is our means to speak the Truth about God

b. via ourselves
2 Timothy 2:23-27 "A Workman Approved by God"
to "gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance, lending them to a knowledge of the Truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."

- repentance is NOT religious, is NOT pious, is NOT sincere in spirit

Confession of Faith (from the Theological Declaration of Barmen)
We confess that as Jesus Christ is God's assurance of the forgiveness of all our sins, so in the same way and with the same seriousness is he also God's mighty claim upon our whole life. Through him befalls us a joyful deliverance from the godless fetters of this world for a free, grateful service to his creatures. We reject the false doctrine, as though there were areas of our life in which we would not belong to Jesus Christ, but to other lords--areas in which we would not need justification and sanctification through him.

No comments: